First of all, what exactly is a capsule wardrobe? Well, it's all about curating a small collection of seasonal clothing that you love, instead of having a giant closet filled with things you almost never wear. If you are like most people, you wear 10% of your clothing 90% of the time. I've noticed in my own life, there are some items of clothing that I reach for all the time while others keep getting pushed further and further into the back of my closet. Creating a capsule wardrobe means keeping (or purchasing) only a small collection of stylish items that you can wear over and over again.
So, can you still dress stylishly without having tons of clothes? Absolutely!
With a smaller wardrobe some things do become more important though. First of all quality. If you are going to be wearing the same clothes more often, you need to make sure you're purchasing items that are going to last you through the season. A cheap sweater that can never be washed for fear of immeasurable shrinking just won't cut it with a capsule wardrobe. Secondly, with a capsule wardrobe you need to choose pieces that can be layered and re-worn multiple different ways. Having a small wardrobe does not mean you have to wear the same boring outfit every single day. On the contrary, you will likely find that having fewer items in your closet pushes you to become more creative in re-working the pieces you already own in new ways!
While your personal capsule wardrobe can include as many or as few items as you want, today I'm focusing on the 19 items that you absolutely can't go with this fall!
Every fall there's a lot of talk about new trends but deciding which ones to incorporate into your wardrobe can be confusing (especially if you are on a budget!). I love trends as much as the next fashion blogger, but I always aim to purchase items that can be worn multiple different ways. Realistically if you purchase a floor length sequin gown, you will likely never wear it more than once or twice. While it may be gorgeous, it's not practical for everyday life and is not easy to layer with other items to give it a new look. On the other hand, a pair of dark jeans can be dressed up or down and can be worn with hundreds of different tops and accessories. Trends are great, but you want to make sure you are purchasing trendy items that are still versatile.
So, with that in mind, here's my take on the 9 fall trends you will be seeing everywhere this season!
- The Fall/Winter 2016 Trends -1. Pastel hues: Pastels were a huge fall trend this year and many designers incorporated the two Pantone colours of the year "serenity" and "rose quartz" into their collections.
Seen on the runway at: Chanel, Balmain
2. Fall florals: It seems this trend rolls around every time this year, but pretty floral patterns on dark backgrounds are the perfect way to ease into fall!
Seen on the runway at: Alexander McQueen, Monique Lhuillier
3. Ruffles: This year we saw ruffles everywhere on the runway! The trendiest designers incorporated them in new ways, especially down the sleeves of blouses & dresses.
Seen on the runway at: Gucci, Zuhair Murad, Rodarte, Chanel
4. Velvet: This pretty fabric is an amazing way to incorporate texture into your wardrobe.
Seen on the runway at: Naeem Khan, Rochas
5. Over the knee boots: I'm all about the OTK boot. Not only do they give the impression of having legs for days, but if you live in a chilly climate like me (hello Winter-peg!), they are amazing at providing extra warmth.
Seen on the runway at: Elie Saab
6. Fur: Whether real or faux, adding a touch of fur to your wardrobe is a luxe way to add a trendy statement.
Seen on the runway at: Alexander McQueen, Zimmerman, BluMarine
7. Leather skirt: While leather pants are a fall classic, a textured leather skirt is the latest way to incorporate the trend.
Seen on the runway at: Alexander McQueen, Oscar de la Renta, Rachel Zoe
8. Wide Brimmed Fedora: Not only does it hide a bad hair day, but a beautiful fedora adds style and substance to an outfit.
Seen on the runway at: Elie Saab, Zuhair Murad
9. Wool cape: I can't say enough good things about having a beautiful cape in your wardrobe. It's stylish, unexpected and can be layered over almost anything!
Seen on the runway at: Prada, Carolina Herrera, Gareth Pugh
Okay, so now you know all about this year's trends, but every great capsule wardrobe is built on a foundation of solid basics. These are the pieces that are timeless and can be styled to look just as chic 10 years from now as they are today. You likely already own most of these items, but if not, they can easily be found at almost any clothing store.
Here is my recommendation for the 10 classic pieces every girl should always have in her closet:
1. Striped tee
2. Chambray button-up
3. Longline cardigan
4. Camel coat
5. Suede ankle boots
6. White pants
7. Dark jeans
8. Knit pull-over
9. A sweater dress
10. Black pumps
Okay, so I've shared all about the 19 items you need to have in your wardrobe this fall... But how do you wear them? Well, to jump start your creativity, here's 30 different ways (one for each day of the month!) to style these 19 fall wardrobe essentials!
So, are you convinced you need these 19 items in your wardrobe?
Here's the direct links to purchase all the wardrobe essentials you saw in today's post. Happy shopping!