When it comes to the holiday season, nutrition often gets tossed by the wayside in exchange for endless Christmas baking and huge family dinners. But come Christmas morning, we’ve got you covered with this decadent yet healthy brunch recipe! These pancakes are the perfect sweet treat filled with whole grains and plenty of protein to start off the busy day ahead and keep you full until that turkey comes out of the oven!
Banana pancakes with peanut butter whip
Recipe by Cassidy Kasdorf
– serves 2 –
Banana pancakes ingredients:
1 over-ripe banana
1/4 cup egg whites
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Peanut butter whip ingredients:
1/4 cup greek yogurt
3 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tsp agave
1. Mix all ingredients pancake ingredients except chocolate chips together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Spoon batter into a preheated frying pan over low heat. Wait for small bubbles to appear in the centre of the pancakes before flipping.
4. Let cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
5. Meanwhile, whip all peanut butter topping ingredients together in a small bowl.
6. Top pancakes with a small dollop of the peanut whip and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips & sliced bananas.
Nutrition per serving (with whip)
Calories: 444 (620). Sugar: 8.6g (17g). Fat: 10g (20g). Protein: 21g (25g)