I fully believe in the importance of breakfast, and there is nothing I love more than warm carbohydrates first thing in the morning… muffins, pancakes, fresh bread… I love it all! But as much as I love breakfast food, it is really important for me to make my first meal of the day a healthy one that includes whole grains.
It took me a long time to find a recipe for whole wheat pancakes that don’t taste like cardboard, but this recipe is genuinely delicious! I love that it uses whole wheat flour and rolled oats, because combining the two grains give baked goods an amazing light texture.
Whole Wheat Pancakes
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup quick outs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp natural cane sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Mix first 7 dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add in remaining wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
3. Pour batter 1/4 cup at a time into a greased frying pan over medium heat, creating individual pancakes.
4. Wait until bubbles appear in the center of each pancake, then flip pancakes over, continuing to cook until golden.
5. Serve hot topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream, or let cool on a rack and refrigerate (or freeze) for another day.