This recipe is a quite special to me. These jam filled sandwich cookies are a Christmas tradition (although I am more than happy to bake them any time of the year) and this recipe was handed down from my grandmother. These are without doubt the best cookies you can eat that don't contain chocolate.
1 cup Brown sugar
1 cup Butter
1/2 cup Golden Corn Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
3 1/2 cups Flour
1 small jar of Red Currant Jelly (red current is the best kind of jelly for these cookies, but raspberry jelly is a close second and almost any variety would do the trick)
1. Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in corn syrup, eggs & vanilla.
2. Combine baking soda, baking powder & flour, then mix dry mixture into wet batter.
3. For best results, refrigerate dough overnight. But if you are impatient (like me!), feel free to skip this step and your cookies will still be delicious.
4. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4" thick, then use a round cookie cutter (or a glass with a 2" rim) to cut out circles.
5. Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
6. Take cookies out of the oven and let them cool on the pan for 2 minutes. Then spoon a teaspoon of jelly onto half of the warm cookies and sandwich them with another cookie.